Saturday, December 12, 2009

Fear #22: Morbius, the Living Vampire in "This Vampire Must Die!"


Download Adventure Into Fear #22





Stumbling across Fear #22 featuring Morbius, the Living Vampire, when I was in the fourth grade, was certainly a fortuitous event for me as I ended up loving this storyline for years. I still recall that I traded one of my Devil Kids Starring Hot Stuff comic books for this issue with a buddy of mine during class, which annoyed our teacher to no end.

In fact, I enjoyed this particular storyline so much that I watched the comic book rack at Rexall's Drug Store for all of the succeeding issues in order to see what happened next, which was unusual for me at the time as I was convinced that the publishing companies that used cliffhangers were scamming us kids for our quarters. Sure, I had already read Steve Gerber's Man-Thing and loved it, but now here was Morbius. In truth, it wasn't even the character I loved so much, but Steve Gerber's superb storytelling ability. Give this one a read as I'm sure you'll see what I mean.


Credits

Script: Steve Gerber
Pencils: Rich Buckler
Inks:Luis Dominguez














3 comments:

Mykal Banta said...

OW: What a great comic. I never got into Morbius, and now I regret it. The book has a tremendous quality of classic melodrama, which I love in a comic. And the artwork is excellent. May I assume we will get the next part? I want to know where the River of Oblivion leads. Normally, trading a Hot Stuff comic is a mistake, but in this case you did good (depending on the issue of Hot Stuff, of course). Wonderful post!

BTY: I grew up hovering at the comics rack in a Rexall drug store as well. -- Mykal

The Old Warrior said...

Hi, Mykal

Absolutely you'll get the other two parts and I managed to pick up that old issue of Hot Stuff from a comic book shop years later so I came out ahead on that trade, I think.

Alao, it's nice to hear from someone else who's nostalgic for Rexall's Drug Stores and their comic book racks ;-]

Mykal Banta said...

OW: You've been posting some great stuff. Keep it up. I have linked you up on my three comic blogs. -- Mykal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...